NCAGE Code Guide: 2019 Update


NCAGE Content Updated July 10, 2019

Are you a foreign entity looking to do business with the U.S. federal government? Then it’s time that you get familiar with the NCAGE code. Without it, you will not be able to compete or bid on contracts with the U.S. federal government. So in this post, we’re going to cover:

  • What does it stand for?
  • Why are they required?
  • How do you get an NCAGE code?

What does NCAGE stand for?

It stands for…

  • NATO
  • Commercial
  • And
  • Governmental
  • Entity

Why are they required?

The NCAGE Code is a five-character ID number that supports a variety of mechanized systems throughout the United States government and provides for a standardized method of identifying a provided facility at a distinct location.

International businesses located outside of the United States of America are required to include a NATO Commercial and Governmental Entity (NCAGE) Code on their System for Award Management (SAM) registration or their registration will be considered incomplete. All countries outside of the United States need this number, not just countries a part of the NATO agreement.

How do you get an NCAGE code?

To get an NCAGE code you will first need a DUNS number (Data Universal Numbering System) from Dun & Bradstreet. To request one, you can visit this page and follow the provided directions.

For those unfamiliar, a DUNS number is a nine-digit identifier used for each physical location of your business. Dun & Bradstreet is a private company that provides insights such as commercial analytics and analytics. All federal contractors, domestic or foreign are required to have a DUNS number.

It should also be noted that in the near future, the U.S. federal government plans on phasing out the DUNS number requirement in favor of the newer SAMMI number. After you have received your DUNS number, you’re now ready to receive your NCAGE code. To get your NCAGE code, simply visit this page and follow the directions. After that, you will have the materials you would need to get registered in SAM.

Registration Made Easy

The quickest way to get registered in SAM…is to not do it yourself. Instead, just let the experts at US Federal Contractor Registration do it for you. Since 2010, USFCR has been helping businesses of all sizes get registered and remain compliant for federal contracting.

From registration to education, they’ll help you land the worlds largest buyer of goods and services as your next customer. Stop with the hassle of government paperwork and focus on your business.


Filed under: Uncategorized