Receiving a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) from the IRS

government contracting tips

government contracting tipsThe Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) validation process in System for Award Management (SAM) with the IRS ensures that TIN information is correctly entered for the entity. This improves the accuracy of data for the agencies in processing payments to entities and reporting to the IRS, which reduces the possibility of late payments to entities.


Receiving a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)

To have an active registration in SAM, you must authorize the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to validate that the Taxpayer Identification Name and Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) (Employer Identification Number or Social Security Number) provided by the registrant matches the name and/or name control and TIN in the files of the IRSfor the most current tax year reported. Without this consent, a registrant’s tax return information, including registrant’s name and TIN, is confidential.

In order to complete your SAM registration and qualify as a registrant eligible to bid for federal government contracts or apply for federal assistance awards (e.g. grants and cooperative agreements), the TIN and Taxpayer Name combination you provide must match exactly to the TIN and Taxpayer Name used on your federal tax return. You will not be allowed to have an active SAM registration without a validated TIN. It may take three to five business days to validate new and updated records with the IRS prior to becoming active in SAM.

Pursuant to 26 U.S.C. 6103(c), the registrant authorizes the IRS to disclose to the officers and employees of the SAM Program Office whether the name and/or name control and TIN provided in connection with this registration is the TIN maintained in IRS files for the registrant’s company for the most current tax year reported. The registrant recognizes that this validated TIN will reside in SAM and be accessible to federal government procurement officials and other government personnel performing managerial review and oversight, for use in all governmental business activities including tax reporting requirements and debt collection.


For Foreign vendors, a TIN is not required if the registrant is a nonresident alien, foreign corporation, or foreign partnership that does not have income effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business in the United States and does not have an office or place of business or a fiscal paying agent in the United States.


For questions about your TIN call US Federal Contractor Registration at 877-252-2700 to learn how to qualify, and become properly registered in System for Award Management (SAM).

Filed under: Government Contracting TipsTagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *
Name *
Email *