The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) is the standard used by federal statistical agencies in classifying businesses for the purpose of collecting, analyzing and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. economy.
If you are registering to be eligible for contracts or intra-governmental transactions, you will be asked for your NAICS codes (that describe what type of business you are in) within the “Assertions” section of your entity registration on the “Goods and Services” page. In the Glossary on this page, you will find a link to the NAICS search page within the Census Bureau’s web site.
Find Contracts with NAICS code Searches
Once you have selected the 6-digit NAICS code that best represents your business product or service, you can use the code as a search filter. Note the filter search for NAICS codes allows you to select codes at either the broader (3 number) or narrow (6 number) code specificity.
- Go to www.fbo.gov and login as vendor (logging on allows you to save the search for later use. Note you can also do the same search not logged into the site using “opportunities” link on the home page, but the search cannot be saved for later use).
- Click on “opportunities” upper navigation.
- Click on “advanced search” sub-tab.
- Use the “NAICS Codes:” field to filter your search. Hold down the Control Key (CTRL) with menu open to select to select multiple codes. The list is hierarchical in nature. Selections can be made at both the three digit codeand the six digit code. Once you are satisfied with your filter selection, click “search”
- Results are then presented on the “search results” tab.
- From the search results page, users are given the option to save the search criteria for use at a later date. Click “save this search as a search agent”to save the search. If you do so, you will need to provide a label that you would like to use for the search agent. You will need to “save” the label once entered.
Refer any questions regarding the NAICS code and other synopsis content to the point of contact (POC) in the synopsis.